The internationalisation of Irish higher education is a key element in the delivery of a quality teaching, learning and research experience for students and staff and for building international engagement for the sector. The Government of Ireland – International Education Scholarship (GOI-IES) scheme was established under the provisions of the Government’s International Education Strategy, 2010–2015 and expanded under the new iteration of the strategy “Irish Educated, Globally Connected (2016-2020)”.
The aim of the 2018 GOI-IES scheme is to reflect Ireland’s engagement in target markets. The scheme is operated in the higher education sector and funded in partnership between the Government and the higher education institutions (HEIs). Scholarships will be branded as prestigious awards reflecting the core messages about Ireland as a centre of international education. It is expected that for every scholarship winner, awareness of Ireland will be raised among many more potential students.
Benefits for students: Scholarships must be regarded as highly desirable and value-adding to individuals’ subsequent lives and careers. In view of this, the GOI-IES will be awarded:
• to high calibre higher education students from non-EU/EEA countries;
• to study in Ireland for a period of one year
Benefits for Higher Education sector: GOI-IES will reflect Ireland’s commitment to excellence in the provision of Higher Education for both domestic and international students:
• for scholarships that will highlight Ireland’s strengths as a centre of international education;
• to promote links with target markets globally;
• to strengthen the internationalisation strategies of HEIs especially in the context of the system performance framework.