Coronavirus – Statement from An Taoiseach
Posted: 12 March, 2020
From 6pm today (12 March 2020), the following measures are being put in place. They will stay in place until March 29th.
- Schools, colleges, and childcare facilities will close from tomorrow. Where possible, teaching will be done on-line or remotely. Cultural institutions will close.
- Our advice is that all indoor mass gatherings of more than 100 people and outdoor mass gatherings of more than 500 people should be cancelled.
- Arrangements are being made to ensure that everyone entering Ireland through our ports and airports is fully informed and self-isolates if they develop symptoms.
- You should continue to go to work if you can but where possible should work from home. In order to reduce unnecessary face to face interaction in the workplace, break times and working times should be staggered and meetings done remotely or by phone.
- Public transport will continue to operate.
- The shops will remain open and we have plans to ensure that supply chains will not be interrupted.
- We need the public and businesses to take a sensible and level-headed responsible approach.
- Restaurants, cafes and other businesses can stay open but should look at ways that they can implement the public health advice on social distancing.
- As a general rule, outside of work people should seek to reduce social interactions as much as possible.