Frequently Asked Questions

  • Is it okay to send a student on Erasmus to Northern Ireland?

    Yes, there’s no problem with someone doing a traineeship Northern Ireland. The student will recieve the UK rate while on exchange.

  • Whose job is it source traineeships? The international officer or the student?

    Traineeships can be sourced by either an institution’s international department or by the students themselves. A number of institutions maintain long-term links with overseas companies similar to the links they maintain with other European institutions for study placements but that’s not mandatory. The only thing international officers have to make sure of is that the receiving organisations meets the guidelines outlined on page 38 of the Erasmus+ Programme Guide.

  • Is it possible for a student to do two separate traineeships in the same (foreign) country?

    Yes, so long as both traineeships meet the criteria for traineeships outlined in the programme guide.

  • What are the minimum number of weekly hours defined for a traineeship?

    Technically, there are no outlined number of minimum weekly hours for an Erasmus+ traineeship. In a rare instance for the programme, common sense is expected to prevail here. If someone’s going abroad and only doing two hours work a week then that is not really acceptable that as a traineeship. That doesn’t mean, however, that a traineeship has to have the same number of hours as a normal working week. It can certainly be less. International officers are asked to look objectively at each position being offered and ask themselves whether it really is a traineeship or if it’s just an excuse for a long holiday.

  • What happens if a student goes to two different countries to work in the same company?

    The student would have to be registered as two separate grants, one for each country. It’s also important to note that, even though it’s the same company, the student would have to be present in both countries for the minimum requirement of two months.

  • One of our teachers will be accompanying a student abroad. Is this eligible to go through Erasmus as a Staff Training mobility?

    For someone to go on exchange there needs to be a receiving organisation of some sort. A HEI with a Erasmus Charter or an “organisation active in the labour market or in the fields of education, training and youth.” If there’s no receiving organisation we’re not allowed to authorise the exchange.

  • Can I use teaching funds to support staff mobility and vice versa?

    Yes. Annex II of the grant agreement goups both teacher training and staff mobility into the same category: “Staff Mobility for Teaching and Training Between Program Countries”. Given that both groups belong to the same category, funding is freely transferable between them.

  • Some of my students will be finishing their mobility sooner than expected. Beyond the usual grace period of 5 days, is there any other leeway available?

    Unfortunately, beyond the aforementioned 5 days, there’s no leeway we can offer to students whose mobility finished earlier than expected. Any excess funds will have to be reimbursed.

  • Is it possible to give a student a top up on their grant from OM if they are struggling in relation to finance while abroad?

    Unfortunately, top ups are not allowed under the Erasmus+ programme.

  • In article 2 of the grant agreement it asks for the exact dates of the mobility period. Are provisional dates acceptable?

    As long as they represent an educated guess, provisional dates are fine.

  • My finance officer insists that the student's bank details are filled out on a separate form which they use to process payments. Instead of filling in the students bank details on the grant agreement, can I just attach this form?

    No. Unfortunately, the students bank details have to be directly filled in on the grant agreement. While this may be an inconvience, it is necessary to ensure the integrity of the grant agreement as a contract.

  • Instead of filling in the "After the Mobility" section, can I just attach the student's transcripts?

    No. Unfortunately, you are required to fully fill in the learning agreement. This includes the “After the Mobility” section of the agreement.

  • ICM - Can a student undertake credit mobility to their home country?

    Yes but just like with KA103 mobilities it is expected, in the event of competition, you will give preference to students whose mobilties are not to their country of origin.

  • ICM - What documentation is needed for KA107 mobilities?

    The same documentation that is needed for KA103 mobilties. A learning agreement or staff teaching/training agreement, a recipet of grant, a grant agreement and  certificates (or emails) of attendance.

  • ICM - Does it matter if a beneficiary doesn't have citizenship/residency in their country of application?

    No. However, if the incoming beneficiary is an Irish citzen then the rule of preference mentioned before applies.

  • ICM - With regard to student mobility incoming and outgoing, we applied for 3rd cycle and were approved for 1st cycle, is it okay to send and receive 3rd cycle students?

    For incomming students, yes. In the case of outgoing students it is acceptable so long as that country has been approved for both 1st and 3rd cycle students.

  • If a student goes abroad for the first semester, and then applies to stay on for the second semester, do we need to prepare a new grant agreement for the second semester?

    Yes, you are required to prepare and sign a new grant agreement. The student is technically applying for a whole new grant when they decide to extend their stay.

  • The additional modules for semester 2 are typed into Table A2 as “added components”. There doesn’t seem to be any place on the form for additional approval signatures, either for changes or additions to the study programme during the mobility. Are these not necessary?

    All you need is an email confirmation from the associated parties. No actual signatures are necessary.

  • Is it now possible to transfer funds between incoming and outgoing mobility for KA107?

    Yes, as long as the amended project respects the core of the initial project, the Programme Guide and any secondary criteria set by the National Agency

  • Is it necessary for host companies to complete both the after traineeship section of the traineeship agreement and also a separate confirmation of completion of placement?

    No. The after section of the training agreement is sufficient.

  • If a student from a bilingual household goes on mobility do they have to do the OLS assessment?

    Not if the institution believes that they qualify as fluent in the language of the host institution.

Our use of cookies

We use necessary cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set optional analytics cookies to help us improve it. We won't set these optional cookies unless you enable them. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our Privacy Policy page

Necessary cookies

Necessary cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify anyone.